If you've either noticed a reduction in power or seen plumes of smoke emitted from the rear of your car or truck, one reason could be due to dirty and clogged diesel injectors.The solution could be as simple as using an additive to clean and decongest those diesel injectors. But with so many options available, picking the right one for your use may be a daunting task. Fear not though, as we’ve rounded up a selection of the best diesel fuel injectors on the market in 2022. Read on to find out more!
Comparison Table for Best Diesel Injector Cleaners of 2022
1.Hot Shot's Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment - EDT 16 oz Squeeze - Overall Best in 2022
Hot Shot's Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment is more than just an injector cleaner. As the name implies, it's intended for everyday use, making it a great additive for those looking to consistently keep their diesel car or truck engine and diesel injectors clean in the long run.
Features & Benefits of EDT 16 oz Squeeze
- Cleans as it Works: The Hot Shot Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment is great at cleaning and adding lubrication within your diesel engine. This gives you consistent cleaning action every day.
- Prevents Gum and Sludge: Two major contributors to fowled diesel injectors are gum and sludge which build up over time and reduce the efficiency of an engine. But, when Hot Shot's Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment is used, it demulsifies the particles in diesel that would clog and block injectors.
- Concentrated Formula:The highly-concentrated formula has been devised to ensure that you get the most out of this product, with great best bang for your buck. 1 oz will treat as much as 25 gallons of diesel, meaning that a 16 oz can will be enough for 200 gallons of diesel-powered motoring.
- Adds Power: The Hot Shot Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment is a great way to restore lost power, or in some cases add to stock. By increasing the cetane levels of the diesel it catalyzes the combustion process, resulting in a more effective burn.
- Increased Fuel Economy: By increasing the cetane levels of the diesel, and with the added pro-oxidants, using Hot Shot’s Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment is a great way to improve the oxidative process in which diesel burns. This translates into a cleaner and more efficient burn and less fuel used in the process.
- Cleans injectors and other engine components
- Prevents sludge and gum buildup
- Adds power and smoothens engine
- Eliminates moisture from diesel
- Prevents rusting and corrosion
- Isn’t specifically formulated for injector cleaning
- Not suitable for injector disassembly
Hot Shot's Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment is a great option for those looking for a way to keep their diesel engine running at optimum, without having to worry about the long-term effects of using differing or poor quality diesel fuels. As an additive, it will also clean your engine, but may not be as effective if substantial clogging has already developed in your diesel injectors.
2. Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Injector Cleaner
Unlike other options made by mainstream lubricant and additive manufacturers, Stanadyne is actually a maker of fuel systems—including diesel injectors. With this comes the expected expert know-how of how to clean your clogged injectors.
Features & Benefits of Stanadyne Performance Formula
- Made by a manufacturer: Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Injector cleaner is made with the know-how that has gone into 140 years of supplying leading automakers with trusted fuel systems. With the knowledge garnered from manufacturer and supply, Stanadyne's injector cleaner is a great option for comprehensive cleaning.
- Lubricates while Cleaning: The Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Injector Cleaner is designed to continuously lubricate fuel systems while cleaning. By adding to the much-needed lubrication of various parts in your diesel fuel system it prevents premature wear and tear, and extends the service life of various components including your injectors.
- Concentrated Formula: Stanadyne’s diesel injector cleaner is a concentrated formula, designed to be a one-tank solution for your injector-cleaning needs. Each bottle of 16oz treats up to 50 gallons of diesel, meaning that just two bottles are required for the treatment of 100 gallons.
- Can be used regularly: Although primarily designed to clean your diesel injectors and break down long-term deposits in an engine, you can also use the Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Injector cleaner on a regular basis. This ensures that your engine’s running is kept smooth and clean for the long haul.
- Better Starting and Improved Running: If used regularly, Stanadyne’s Performance Formula will ensure that your diesel engine is running quieter and smoother, while cold starts are also easier. This is due to its ability to raise the cetane level of diesel, which results in improved combustion.
- Cleans & lubricates fuel system parts
- The highly-concentrated formula of detergents cleans effectively
- Improves the quality of diesel if used regularly
- Safe for regular use (every fill-up if desired)
- Improves combustion of diesel
- Not suitable for injector disassembly
- Concentration ratio means two bottles needed for larger tanks
The Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Injector cleaner is a great solution to engine and injector cleaning. Designed by a fuel systems manufacturer, if used regularly it’s a great way to ensure your injectors are clean and clear of debris and buildup.
3. LUCAS LUC10013 10013 Fuel Treatment
A trusted name in automotive parts and fluids, Lucas offers their universal fuel treatment that is ideal for areas that have poor quality fuel. Proudly stating that their fuel treatment has injector cleaners as well, it’s a great all-purpose remedy for cleaning out an engine.
Features & Benefits of LUCAS LUC10013 10013
- Fuel Savings: Lucas claims that using their LUC10013 10013 Fuel Treatment can lead to great fuel savings when used regularly. With a unique formulation, the Lucas Fuel Treatment is a great way to ensure a cleaner and clearer burn.
- Safe for Use on Both Petrol & Diesel engines: The Lucas LUC10013 10013 Fuel Treatment can be used for both petrol and diesel engines. This means it’s a great solution for those who have multiple vehicles running on a variety of fuels—with the Lucas fuel treatment there’s no need to get different additives.
- Increases Life of Pump and Injectors: Whether your diesel engine is brand new or has tens of thousands of miles on the clock, Lucas' fuel treatment can be used to increase the life of various critical components in your car. It does so by providing much-needed lubrication for some of the most critical components of your fuel system.
- Neutralizes Low-Sulfur fuel: In areas of poor fuel quality,Lucas LUC10013 10013 Fuel Treatment can be used to neutralize low-sulfur fuel. Low-Sulfur fuel can cause running problems and premature wear on engines that were designed to run with higher sulfur content.
- It can eliminate problems commonly caused for low-sulfur diesel
- Lubricates diesel pump and injectors
- Can be used as a fuel additive for regular usage
- Suitable for both petrol and diesel engines
- Contains a high concentration of cleaners for effective injector cleaning
- The less-specialized formulation may make it less effective for all diesel applications.
- Does not claim to raise cetane level
One of the only fuel additives and injector cleaners to be marketed as suitable for both petrol and diesel engines. The Lucas LUC10013 10013 Fuel Treatment is a great solution for those who own multiple vehicles and are looking for a great everyday fuel additive and injector cleaner.
4. BG 245 Premium Diesel Fuel System Cleaner
New and improved, BG’s new 245 Premium Diesel Fuel System Cleaner replaces their 244 formulation to provide even better results than before. With multiple uses and benefits, the BG diesel fuel system cleaner is another great product from the brand that hasbeen in operation since 1971.
Features & Benefits of BG 245 Premium
- Stabilizes Fuel: With diesel fuel being notoriously unstable, BG's 245 Diesel System Cleaner doesn't just clean but has a special emphasis paid towards the stabilization of the fuel. This helps avoid deposit formation as diesel engines can be sensitive towards fuel breakdown.
- Formulated for modern engines:Formulated especially for common-rail diesel engines that utilize high-pressure fuel systems, BG's 245 Diesel System cleaner is great for modern-day applications. By using the BG diesel system cleaner on a modern common-rail diesel engine you're assured of performance.
- Temperature resistant: By being formulated to withstand the high temperatures that modern-day common-rail engines develop, BG's 245 Diesel System Cleaner can withstand the heat and avoids the breakdown of both the product and the fuel.
- Cleans the entire Fuel System: BG’s 245 Diesel System Cleaner has been designed to thoroughly clean the entire fuel system from deposits left by sub-par diesel and combustion. Adding BG 245 will effectively clean out these areas before also protecting against further buildup.
- Improves Running: BG’s 245 Diesel System Cleaner claims to have a proven effect on the smooth running of your diesel car or truck’s engine. Use it to restore lost power, smoothen out lumpy idling, or see reduced emissions.
- New and improved formulation
- Proudly made in the USA
- Great for modern common-rail diesel engines
- Improves fuel economy and lowers emissions
- Cleans out the entire fuel system
- Better-suited towards modern engines
- Not designed as an additive for regular fill-ups
With a new synthetic-based formula that is designed to perform better and more consistently when used in modern high-pressure, high-heat applications, the BG 245 Diesel System Cleaner is a great solution if you have a modern common-rail diesel engine.
5. FPPF Fuel Power Diesel Fuel Treatment #90100
FPPF Fuel Power Diesel Fuel Treatment #90100 is a great, multi-purpose diesel additive for use in a variety of applications. Not restricted to just clearing diesel injectors, FPPF has been developing fuel treatments since the 70s, and their diesel fuel treatment is the result of extensive research and development in the field.
Features & Benefits of FPPF Fuel Power Diesel
- Eliminates Water: FPPF Fuel Power Diesel Fuel Treatment #90100 is lauded for its ability to effectively and completely disperse water and contamination. Water can result in many adverse effects when present in diesel, but FPPF’s solution can help eliminate this risk.
- Prevents Sludge: FPPF Fuel Power Diesel Fuel Treatment #90100 has been formulated to prevent the build-up of sludge within your diesel engine. As an additive added to fuel it’s chemical qualities will help diesel remain free-flowing, without the need to worry about sludge build-up.
- Great for the Winter: During cold months, ice particles that form from water droplets in diesel can be especially harmful to critical engine components. Using FPPF Fuel Power Diesel Fuel Treatment will neutralize these risks and ensure all-weather protection for your diesel fuel system.
- Improves Combustion: Another benefit of FPPF’s unique formulation is its ability to improve diesel combustion. This has a multitude of positive effects, such as improved gas mileage, smoother running, and lowered engine emissions.
- Great for cold-weather applications
- Disperses all water from diesel
- Prevents gum and varnish buildup
- Increases longevity of crucial fuel system parts
- Increases mileage and improves running
- Requires regular usage for optimum results
- Marketed more as an additive than a dedicated injector cleaner
If you want to ensure your diesel engine remains corrosion-free, then FPPF’s Fuel Power Diesel Fuel Treatment #90100 is a great step towards ensuring your diesel is uncontaminated with water. A great way to stabilize fuel, prevent against wear and clean your diesel engine’s injectors, the FPPF Fuel Power Diesel Treatment is a multi-=purpose diesel additive.
6. Sea Foam SF-16 Motor Treatment
A popular all-purpose solution for many engines and applications, Sea Foam is an industry-standard name in the world of fuel additives. Their Motor Treatment is their much-trusted, tried and tested solution that can be used almost universally, for both petrol and diesel engines.
Features & Benefits of Sea Foam SF-16
- Stabilizes Fuel: Sea Foam is a great way to stabilize low-quality or possibly contaminated diesel fuel. Its unique formulation will stabilize fuel for up to two years, making it safe to use stored diesel and ideal for vehicles that aren’t regularly run.
- Cleans your engine: Sea Foam will clean various parts of your engine and, if added to diesel, will do a great job of cleaning out diesel injectors and other elements of your car or truck’s fuel system. Simply add it to your diesel at the pump and run it for the best results.
- Can be used on any engine: Sea Foam is touted as the can for every engine, and can be used on both petrol and diesel engines, as well as marine, industrial and automotive applications. This makes it especially useful for those who have multiple applications—especially fleet owners.
- Adds Lubricity: When added to diesel, Sea Foam improves the lubricity of the fuel, aiding parts of the fuel system such as the diesel pump and diesel injectors. Sea Foam also lubricates the upper cylinders to help gain power and restore smoothness.
- Can be added to the oil as well: Sea Foam can also be added to your diesel engine’s oil to clean out various parts of the engine’s crankcase. The multi-use strategy of Sea Foam means you can use one product for a total engine treatment, without having to worry about different options on the market.
- One product for all motors can be used for multiple applications
- Adds the lubricating ability to diesel fuel
- Continues to clean out diesel injectors
- Stabilizes diesel fuels
- Eliminates traces of water
- Not specialized for diesel systems
- Not ideal for cleaning disassembled injectors
Sea Foam is a great option, especially for those who have multiple vehicles and engines in their arsenal. With it able to deliver quality results on both petrol and diesel engines, ordering Sea Foam in bulk might just save you money in the long run, rather than spending on multiple products.
7. Gumout 510011 Multi-System Tune-Up
Gumout’s 510011 Multi-System Tune-Up is, as the name implies, a multiple-use tune-up additive that can be used not only on both petrol and diesel engines but also all kinds of motors—from lawnmowers to auto-engines to marine applications. With a wide range of uses, the 510011 Multi-System Tune-up is great for cleaning diesel injectors.
Features & Benefits of Gumout 510011
- Cleans Carbon Deposits: Carbon deposits are the number one cause of various diesel engine problems, includingpoor gas mileage, hard starting, and overall loss of power. The Gumout 510011 Multi-System Tune-up has been designed to eliminate such harmful deposits, to get your car or truck back to running at its peak.
- Can be used in Fuel and Oil: If you’re looking for a product that can be used to clean all aspects of your diesel engine then the 510011 Multi-System Tune-up fits the bill. It can be poured into the tank to clean out your fuel system, and it can also be added to oil before an oil change to clear-out the crankcase.
- Cleans Intake Components: The Gumout 510011 Multi-System Tune-up can even be used to clean your diesel engine's intake. If used with decarbonizing equipment the multi-system tune-up additive can be used to clean the vacuum system, manifold, valves, and combustion chamber.
- Prevents Corrosion: Gumout’s 510011 Multi-System Tune-up actively conditions fuel systems to fight against water and ethanol contamination. By doing so the tune-up additive helps ward off against possible corrosion that can occur when such elements are present and untreated within diesel.
- Prevents Future Carbon Build-up: The 510011 Multi-System Tune-up not only eliminates and brakes down the carbon deposits that clog up diesel injectors, but it also helps prevent such deposits from returning. This will, of course, help ensure that your diesel (or petrol) engine remains running smoother for longer between tune-up additive intervals.
- Cleans out performance-harming carbon deposits
- Protects against carbon deposits forming again
- Stabilizes fuel
- Multiple uses make it handy to have around the garage
- Fights against corrosion-related wear and tear
- Multiple uses can lead to a lack of diesel-fuel specialization
- Not ideal as a long-term fill-up additive
The Gumout 510011 Multi-System Tune-up is exactly what it says on the can: a multi-system solution for a variety of applications. If you’re looking for a hassle-free solution that can not only be used as a diesel injector cleaner but also as a fuel conditioner, crankcase cleaner, and intake cleaner, then the Gumout 510011 Multi-System Tune-up could be the additive for you.
8. Liqui Moly 2005 Diesel Purge
Germany's most-trusted oil and additive brand, Liqui Moly’s diesel purge is a specially-designed diesel injector and fuel-system cleaner that is virtually guaranteed to deliver results. Unlike many of the other options listed here, Liqui Moly’s solution is not just one which you simply add to the tank, but can also be used as a straight-from-can additive that’s designed to thoroughly clean.
Features & Benefits of Liqui Moly 2005
- Offers Highly-concentrated results: Unlike other additives, Liqui Moly’s diesel purge is exactly that — a quick purge that requires the engine to run on pure diesel purge while it’s cleaning agents get to work. As it’s not concentrated in diesel fuel the results are fast.
- Remedial Action: By using the Liqui Moly 2005 Diesel Purge straight from the can Liqui Moly’s diesel purge can be used to quickly address issues with the diesel fuel system and diesel injectors. This is achieved by disconnecting the fuel lines and running them from the Diesel Purge can.
- Preventative Action: If your diesel fuel system is relatively clear, one can of Liqui Moly 2005 Diesel Purge is enough to treat 75 liters of Diesel. Here the Diesel Purge acts as an agent to condition the diesel, while also working as a cleaner to break down carbon deposits formed within the diesel injector.
- Tested for vehicles with Diesel Particulate Filters: Modern diesel engines often come with diesel particulate filters (DPF) which can be sensitive to the usage of certain additives. Liqui Moly’s 2005 Diesel Purge has been tested and has been judged compatible with such filters without throwing up any error codes.
- Highly concentrated and effective additive
- Can be used as a remedial option as well as preventative
- Can be run straight from the can
- Safe for Turbochargers and Diesel Particulate Filters
- Breaks down carbon deposits
- Full system cleaning slightly more involved (requires fuel line disconnection)
- Not suitable for engines other than diesel
Although it offers proven results, for the best outcome the Liqui Moly Diesel Purge requires the disconnection of fuel lines rather than a simple pour-in-tank solution. This may be fine for casual mechanics and those with confidence, but it’s not the most simple solution for every diesel-auto owner.
9. Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Endorsed by legendary diesel-engine manufacturers Cummins, the Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost is loaded with cetane, detergents, and a lubricity improver to provide peak diesel performance. It promises to provide a solution that restores lost power, improves fuel economy by up to 8%, and increases cetane number by 6 points.
Features & Benefits of Power Service Diesel
- Cleans Fuel systems: The Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost is ideal for cleaning out your diesel engine fuel system. It tackles and cleans diesel injectors while ensuring that the rest of the diesel fuel system is clear of deposits.
- Suitable for use in Common-rail Engines: The Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost has been proven to be effective and safe for use in the high-pressure fuel systems that are present in modern common-rail diesel engines. This makes it an excellent choice for the new breed of diesel cars and trucks.
- Boosts Cetane: As the name implied, Power Kleen’s additive not only cleans but boosts the cetane level of diesel. This is especially important when helping improve combustion, increasing power, ensuring engines are smooth, and eliminating cold-start issues.
- Lubricates Fuel System: The Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost contains “slickdiesel”, a Power Service propriety substance that adds lubrication to diesel fuel. Added lubrication is beneficial for the diesel pump and diesel injectors, allowing for a longer service life of both.
- Cleans carbon deposits
- Approved by Cummins
- Increases cetane levels
- Raises power
- Lubricates fuel system
- Not suitable as an anti-freezing or anti-gel agent
- On the higher side of the pricing spectrumited for specialist applications
A manufacturer-approved diesel system cleaner which also raises the cetane level of diesel to increase power sounds great on paper. And it is in practice too, ideal for those wanting to have an edge on the competition, improving power and gas mileage while reducing wear and tear.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Diesel Injector Cleaner
If you're buying a diesel injector cleaner for the first time there are a few key criteria you should keep in mind. Your diesel injectors will likely need cleaning if you’ve noticed a lack of power, but there are other warning signs as well. These can include rough running, poor gas mileage, and failed emissions tests. If you've decided to clean your injectors, then consider the following:
High-Pressure Common-Rail Diesel Engines
High-pressure common-rail (HPCR) diesel engines are commonly found in modern vehicle applications, and often deliver better power and efficiency than conventional systems. However, they require different additive treatments. This is because of the high temperatures that come with highly-pressurized systems. With this in mind, if your car or truck has a common-rail diesel engine then it’s best to select a diesel injector cleaner that caters to this.
When selecting a diesel fuel injector cleaner, it pays to take note of the other attributes that are bundled with it. This can include everything from fuel neutralization to cetane increasers. Some additives have added lubrication for vehicles that require high-sulfur content, while others fight against corrosion by displacing any traces of water.
Some diesel injector cleaners come highly-concentrated, with one bottle able to treat up to 400 gallons of fuel, whereas others may only be enough to treat one tankful. Consider the cost to usage ratio of each, and whether you want to use your diesel injector cleaner regularly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do Injectors need cleaning?
Diesel injectors are what spray fuel into the engine cylinder just before combustion. But combustion often leads to carbon deposits building up over time. If you've ever seen soot in your tailpipe, this is one example of carbon build-up.
What are the symptoms of a dirty diesel injector?
Carbon build-up within your engine, and particularly on the injectors, may lead to the injector’s spray pattern becoming blocked and irregular. This can reduce power, harm fuel economy, lead to premature knocking under load, and reduce your engine’s smooth running—even at idle
How often should I clean my injectors?
It often depends on a variety of factors, including your driving habits and the quality of diesel in your area. However, a good rule of thumb is to clean them at each service, adding some diesel injector cleaner additive to a full tank shortly afterward. Alternatively, a preventive measure may be to use a broader-spectrum additive regularly, at each fill-up.
Can I use iron-remover instead of wheel cleaner?
It’s not recommended to use more than the stipulated amount of diesel injector cleaner. On each product can or tin the ratios will be printed. An easy way to know the correct ratio is to know your car or truck's fuel tank size. When filled up you can then add the correct quantity of diesel injector cleaner. One notable exception to this rule is Sea Foam, adding more than the minimum ratio will not damage your engine, but maybe wasteful.
There’s a mind-boggling amount of diesel injector cleaners on the market, but as this guide will have made apparent, there are many differences between each. While many of the options in our list will clean your car or truck's diesel injectors quickly and effectively, many other unique attributes differentiating each from one and other. While each is different, the best product for you will likely come down to considerations such as price, concentration, and application.